When you have health problems that are mostly out of your control sometimes being able to master yourself in some fashion, whatever that may be, is a really important goal. It doesn’t even have to be something major. Getting control of something in your life that is even the equivalent of adjusting a flyaway strand hair is still a victory. String enough small changes together and by the end of the year you are a slightly better version of you.
My resolutions tend to lean towards that. I go for a series of slight changes of behavior that add up to something by the end.
- Wash hands for 30 seconds after using the washroom. Not that I don’t wash my hands, but it’s normally an absent minded thing isn’t it? Why 30? Because the way I count it is really 20 and that is about what the experts recommend.
- Learn how to make 3 home made gluten free/corn syrup free/xanthan gum free (basically nothing at the grocery store) sauces and dressings to add to the rotation. I miss having sauces.
- Work on a project every day for at least 15 minutes.
- Add poetry into the reading rotation.
- Shift my day by two hours. Two hours earlier in the morning. Two hours earlier to bed. Sorry alternate time zone friends. No more late nights with you online.
- Shut up more. I could use about a 50% reduction of personality.